Friday, June 14, 2013

Learning to Serve in Seguin by Michele

What is my line up, you might ask? Children, canned goods, and more children! Monday was my first full day at Seguin Youth Services and what a day that was...

It began with a miniature road trip on a quest to find derby cars for the boys to build back at the center. Using my logic, I took the exit closest to the center in order to get to hobby lobby, but that took me several miles in the opposite direction! I learned that attention to details is an all around requirement for life as well as the work place. The rest of the day consisted of the tasks similar to that of the derby cars (but all within Seguin).

Tuesday had to be one of the hardest days of the summer, and it was only my second day. All morning long I was located within the Christian Cupboard. Tuesday was ran much differently than Thursday and Saturdays, so I was in for a surprise. Everyone there personally went to each client, pulled their, file, order, and gave them their food. I couldn't believe that with so many people coming in, though less than the high-traffic days, it was possible to serve them all at a pace I thought was a tad too slow for their needs. The best thing I learned that day was that everyday we learning something new; every game may have a new set of rules with each new group you play with. On Tuesday served at the food pantry, and learned the importance of consistency in your personal life. 


Back in the home I am residing in, I decided to go out of a door I never use which left me locked out of the only one I have access to from the outside. Due to my involuntary sleeping habits I took my daily nap in the library on the TLU campus. After my meeting with my mentor I found just enough money to give me gas to ride to rehearsal for the musical in San Antonio that I am in. I tried keeping the idea that the day before I helped someone financial when I myself ended up needing help. Earlier that day, I also helped my friend set up a birthday party for her baby boy. As Pastor Tim advised me just before my commute to the Playhouse theatre, I needed to "remember that it is okay to want to help everyone so long as I am taking care of myself first and actually have the ability to help over time." It seems the talk about over extending myself is a requiring theme in my life!
Without a word of my financial situation spoken to my parents, I checked my account as I left rehearsal Wednesday night and sure enough I had more than what I gave out of the generosity of ly heart and soul. Sometimes I wonder how my parents come to the rescue....other times I remember my mother telling me as a child that whatever I secretly pray for that can be fixed by her help, the spirit speaks it into her heart. I am more than glad I have a praying mother and father!!!

So in the course of a few days I have helped  many families (personally helped deliver over 170 lbs of food on the lightest day), learned the ins and outs of running errands, spent time with extremely bright kids who just need someone on their life to show them their value in society, and how quickly wear myself down if I am not paying attention to my own needs. Over all, the Lord provides and I have been able to see that on my personal life as well as a member of the church and greater Guadalupe county.

No comments:

Post a Comment