Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Keeping Busy by Michele


                  This has definitely been one of my busiest summers alive! I will look back and see how much I have learned about myself and others every single week of my internship. The most rewarding part of my internship has been my time spent with Seguin Youth Services. After Kindergarten I spent my summers at day camps for children affiliated with the United States Army. These camps were located in elementary schools for the young children, and held in youth centers on post for the middle-high school aged children. Seguin Youth Services allows me to learn how non-profits catering to youth operate as well as interact with the children.
                  So far this summer I have been able to lead activities for the girls, create team-building activities and tournaments for the youth, and research grants for community youth programs. When I have gas to spare, I even enjoy running errands for the center. We call them field trips! I found that I am good at developing programs for the children to learn new crafts and cooperate with one another.
                  Working at the Christian Cupboard has furthered my dream of running soup kitchens and developing family nutrition platforms for communities to implement. So many families have more than five in their households.  That is a large amount of mouths to feed…..and to survive for one month from one visit to a food pantry. There must be something I can do to help.  I am grateful to be a LEAD intern where I can discover more about my passions to uplift the kingdom of God and seek help for His people.
If you are reading this, I challenge you to think of one or more ways that your community can be improved by your help and the rest of your congregation’s support. Brainstorm ways to improve the quality of live in your community by letting your spirit guide you in the direction of your brothers and sisters who are much less fortunate than you are. Let’s see what we can come up with-and put into action!

No comments:

Post a Comment